Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tea Party, Anyone?


I've been thrifting. Like that really needs saying at this point.

I bought this crisp white and blue china set and some coordinating pieces and now all I can think about is throwing a tea party. Does that sound antiquated? Does anyone else feel feel like the tea party is in need of some modernization?

You know what I'm envisioning? I'm seeing some nice fall-ish sort of teas with some spiced applesauce cake, not served on pristine china plates, but on mismatched, coordinating pieces. Like, these, for instance. I'm feeling a shoes-off-feet-up-on-the-ottoman kind of party, with some jazzy piano music (Vince Guaraldi?) in the background, and autumn light streaming in with children playing in the background. That kind of tea party.

But I haven't the space to throw a tea party... so I just bought these china pieces instead. This makes complete sense in my head.
The cups and plates were forty-five cents each. The bowls may have been more; around a dollar, maybe.
I adore the china pattern on the cup. It may also help that that they were made in England. The saucer in the picture above was actually a previous find. Together, the patterns are a little busy, but still clean.
I also got two coordinating cups with a blue painted rim. Matchy-matchy is not really my thing. 
And then I got this. I have no idea what it is. I just know that it looked handmade and weird and I needed it. For a buck, I figured I couldn't go wrong.
See what I mean. That blue, man. That blue moves me. It reminds me of a beach in the Maldives with blue irridescent waves and white sand and miles of palm trees.

It's currently on my dresser holding some spare change and keeping some candlesticks company. 

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could have a tea party too...I have a ton of tea cups that I never get to use properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all wins!! The pretty blue thing is a spoon holder, isn't it? I'm looking for a new one of those right now, so handy when you're stirring the spaghetti sauce. The tea party... YES! Did I tell you about the one that I just hosted? It was so much fun that we're going to do another one, but you should do what I'm doing and ask one of your friends, that has great decorating sense and isn't afraid to share it, to be the host, so you can concentrate on the cake and the teas and this awesome story that goes along with it: http://www.focusonthefamily.com/radio.aspx?ID=%7BDEF62B7C-7A17-478C-A57F-46414E4659FE%7D (Dannah Gresh tells it). Whenever you do this tea party thing, now or in years to come... you will be so beautiful doing it, and it will bless their socks off :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arielle - me too. I can serve tea for twenty, but I never do. :( One day!

    Nicole - The little bowl with the blue print inside is oven-proof, so I think it's some sort of mini-souffle dish. AND YOU HOSTED A TEA PARTY?! I am ever so much jealous. How lovely!!

    ReplyDelete